Open to amateurs only who want to compete at a freestyle level. This is recommended for those who have danced for six months or more but do not wish to compete with the Advanced dancers.
- This category is open to amateurs ONLY.
- 1 ticket per couple to enter.
- Couples will dance to music chosen by the DJ.
- Points will be awarded for style, innovation, musical interpretation, quality of dancing and synchronisation of dancers rather than the number/difficulty of moves.
- Judges will also award points for dress and presentation.
- If in the opinion of the judges, entrants in the intermediate competition are of an advanced standard they will be asked to move up to the advanced category or disqualified.
- Airsteps, (lifts, jumps and acrobatic moves), will not be permitted. Disqualification from the competition will be automatic should a couple attempt these moves.
- No extra points will be awarded for drops but they will be permitted provided that the ball of one of the lady's feet remains in contact with the ground. Otherwise, the move will be defined as an airstep.
- Partners must not release hand hold or break contact for more than eight beats.
- The lead and follow aspect of the dance must clearly be demonstrated.
- The dance must be recognisable as a modern jive like Ceroc.
- Dance Teachers/professionals are not allowed to enter this section.
There will be no refund for entrants who pull out of the competition either before or during the event.